The new year is almost here—are you ready? Many people set out to meet new goals for the year, including weight loss and a new gym membership, perhaps picking up a new hobby, and sometimes even home improvement! Whether you want to renovate the space or work on just keeping up with what you currently have, we are here to help! The carpet cleaners at Sweettouch LLC believe in making our homes clean and enjoyable all year long, and there is no better time to start than now. Today, we would like to share some of the top home improvement New Year’s resolutions that you and your family can commit to completing in 2018. For the cleanest carpets in Peoria, contact Sweettouch today!
Cut the Clutter
One of the least expensive but most effective ways to feel better about your home is to clear it of clutter. As the year goes on, we all tend to collect items we do not need. While you may sift through everything now and then and decide to keep something “just in case,” you can end up with overflowing drawers and stuffed cabinets. This can make it challenging to find the items you really need.
This year, commit to going through each room in your home and clearing away any items that you don’t use, wear, or just love in general. If it’s still in good condition, donate it to charity! If not, it’s time to toss it in the trash. Once you have the area cleared away, make sure to be more conscious of the items you bring into your home. Do your new items make you feel good or improve your energy? If not, they need to go.
You can store useful (but not necessarily pretty) items in woven baskets or trays that will add a little more visual appeal to your space. Clear your countertops of everything you don’t use daily, and feel the sense of relief you get when you have all that new space!
Focus on Safety
While your home may look nice, it may not be safe. Make sure you are not living with a potential fire hazard or health risk by committing to do the following in the new year:
- Check for radon. Radon causes about 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year, as it traps radioactive particles in your lungs as you breathe. Sadly, one in every 15 homes has heightened levels of radon. Purchase a test kit from your local hardware store for as little as $20 to ensure your family stays safe.
- Get a carbon monoxide detector for every floor. Most houses only have one carbon monoxide detector, but this is not enough. If something should go wrong with a furnace vent or chimney flue, carbon monoxide can back up and kill you. These detectors are only about $40, which is a small price to pay when it comes to saving your life.
- Be careful of dryer lint. While you might be great about cleaning the lint trap, make sure you are also cleaning the vents and ducts behind the dryer. Lint seems like no big deal, but it is highly combustible. It actually causes more than 15,000 building fires each year.
- Check for mold! You’d be surprised how many homes are not vented to the outside, or how many homes have the vents covered by shingles. This makes your house more susceptible for mold.
- Check for lead paint and asbestos. Those homes built before 1978 should absolutely be tested for lead paint and asbestos flooring. It needs to be handled a certain way while it is removed, so call in specialists to help.
Make a Greener Effort
While you might think that going green is strictly installing solar panels and buying an electric car, that isn’t the case! There are smaller steps you can take in your own home to improve your impact on the environment this year. For example, just being conscientious of how much energy you use is a great start! You can commit to turning off lights when you leave the room, turning down your heating and air conditioning when you leave the house, and installing compact fluorescent bulbs. While it isn’t for everyone, try drying some of your clothes on the line. You can also wait for your dishwasher or washing machine to be full before you run them to save on energy and water. By making a resolution to run your household in a more energy-efficient way, you can save money on your bills and help the environment!
Make a Cleaning System
If you find that your home gets messy more often than you care to admit, then you aren’t alone. Many people find that clutter piles up and, before long, it becomes a huge hassle to get the home back to the way it was before. Commit to cleaning up your home in small ways each week to keep everything in order. This can include doing the dishes daily and ensuring that dirty clothes go in the hamper while clean clothes are hung up or folded and put away.
Weekly, try to dust, vacuum, and wipe down all surfaces in your home. It helps to focus on one time of cleaning at a time, as it’s much faster to clean a home this way! If you have a family, try to divide the tasks to make the chores must faster.
Professional carpet cleaning is recommended at least once or twice per year, especially if you want to keep your floors looking beautiful and feeling soft.
Sweettouch Carpet Cleaners and New Year’s Resolutions
If you are hoping to keep your home in the best condition it has ever seen, commit to these resolutions! We at Sweettouch would love to be the carpet company you call to make sure your home stays beautiful and clean. Together, your home can remain immaculate through the new year. Make resolutions for you and your family, but don’t neglect the place you come to each and every day. Call us today to get started!