Have a stain? Try these spot removal methods!
Hello, people of Peoria. Welcome back! Sweettouch is the go-to carpet cleaning company for homes and businesses in the area. We employ a team of experienced and dedicated professionals who are trained in the latest carpet cleaning methods so that you could feel confident in looking to us for your floor and carpet cleaning.
While we’re always available to come in and help you out with carpet cleaning, it’s not always feasible to have the professionals come in any time you have a spill. Unlike when you spill something onto tile or linoleum, you can’t simply mop up a carpet. Usually, the matter that was spilled will soak up into the carpet fibers, making it difficult to remove. Today, we’re going to go over some of the most common things spilled on carpets and how to get the stains out.
Nothing is better than a glass of merlot after a long day, that is until you accidentally spill it onto your carpet! Because of its rich color, red wine doesn’t tend to go unnoticed, even on darker carpets. After spilling, it’s important to act fast.
- Blot—don’t scrub—the stain with a light colored cloth or towel until it feels dry to touch.
- Dilute the stain with cool water and repeat blotting. Do this until the cloth will no longer pick up the stain.
- Prepare a baking soda paste—3/4 baking soda + ¼ water. Apply this to the stain, wait for it to dry, and vacuum. Repeat if the stain is still present.
We all need coffee to fuel our days and make sure we could function. Because of coffee’s dark colors, it makes a difficult stain to clean up. If you spilled your morning cup of joe onto your carpet, follow these cleaning steps.
- Blot the stain and don’t scrub!
- Put together a solution of dish soap, water, and household vinegar. Because coffee is acidic, the combination of vinegar (an acid) and soap (a base) will create a reaction to help lift the stain off of the carpet. Blot the mixture on the stain until it lifts.
Maybe you spilled some salad dressing on the ground or some pizza grease dripped. Oil stains aren’t fun, but with some determination, they’ll come out in no time! Here are some tips.
- Oil is different from water-based substances, like coffee and wine. Add some baking soda to the spill to help soak up the oils. Wait a few minutes.
- Apply dish soap to the spill and powder and lightly rub it in.
- Blot up the excess suds and dish soap. Let dry.
Ink is about the darkest substance that you could spill onto your carpet. The pigments are designed to seep into whatever material they come into contact with, so what happens when you spill it onto your white carpet? Follow these steps.
- Add a light amount of rubbing alcohol to the top of the stain. Do not rub, but rather blot the stain with a cloth or towel. Make sure to alternate areas used on the towel so as not to push the ink back onto the carpet.
- Repeat this until the stain has been soaked up.
A candle both makes the home smell nice and adds a nice touch to its aesthetic. Unfortunately, if it’s knocked over, you’ll have an annoying stain on your hands. If candle wax spilt onto your floor, try this cleaning method to get the stain out.
- Apply ice or an ice pack to the wax to harden it. Candle wax is usually softer, especially at room temperature. Freezing it will make it easier to remove from your carpet.
- Gently scrape the wax off of the carpet.
- If the dye from the wax seeped into the fibers, add diluted rubbing alcohol and blot up with a cloth or towel.
Unfortunately, even if you act fast to get the stains out, there is no guarantee that they’ll be fully removed. If you have a light colored carpet, stains could affect the aesthetic of the room and make it look dirty. Fortunately, Sweettouch Carpet Cleaning offers affordable services that are guaranteed to make your carpet good as new! To schedule an appointment with our professional carpet cleaning company for spot removal, contact us today!